Why I'm not going to weigh myself anymore

All of us, men and women, are constantly under so much pressure to look a certain way.  Fit. Thin. Skinny. Toned. Healthy. Happy.  We have to be all of these things and living all of our lives through social media puts us all under so much pressure.

My own relationship with my appearance isn't great. I have always felt insecure about how my body looks because of my height as I'm 5"2.  I always feel that when I put on any weight at all that it’s much more visible because I'm short.  I always say to myself that I'm going to diet every new year and finally feel good about myself, but obviously that never happens!

I keep saying to myself that I'm going to work out 3 times a week, which sounds completely reasonable, yet I don't ever fit it in.  I really want to get fit and feel better about myself but with my routine being the way it is currently I'm so tired when I get home from work, I just can't find the energy.

Hand-in-hand with feeling insecure about the appearance of my body, I fixate on the scales.  Every time I weigh myself and see a number that I don't feel comfortable with, I immediately feel so much worse and I mentally berate myself for it.  I could literally look in the mirror, feel alright about how I look, weigh myself after and inevitably see something I don't want to see, and my reflection afterwards will look completely different.  I will see all the flaws over everything else and it is completely consuming.

What I've noticed is that when I don't weigh myself for a while, I tend to feel better about myself.  I will judge myself solely on how I feel, mentally and physically.  I tend to appreciate myself more when I am completely oblivious to how much I weigh; I allow myself to eat what I want and just generally don't feel as bad about myself.  The numbers on the scales create such an issue for me.

This is the one full-length photo taken of me on holiday in Mallorca this July.
I barely ever wear shorts because I'm insecure about my legs not being slim.
I really had to push myself and pretend I was confident in myself to go out in the heat.  

That's why I've decided that I'm not going to weigh myself anymore.  All it ever does is make me feel downbeat and too critical of myself.  We are all so hellbent on being the best (physically) that we can be, in whatever way appeals to each of us, and it can be very damaging.  I can feel that it is dangerous water for me to tread, so the best thing to do is to just ignore it altogether.

Social media can be a big pressure if you are insecure about yourself (like me), we all try to keep up with the normal pace of social media life and post selfies, perfect photos with friends and cool back sets, to make ourselves appear to be confident and happy.  A lot of what we see online isn't genuine and has been massively edited.  We all know the power of a filter, let alone Photoshop and airbrushing!  It can also be a damaging environment for some, due to people posting hateful and critical comments.  Social networks allow us all to be much more vocal to a wider amount of people, but some people completely take advantage of that and cause a lot of harm.

However, there are a lot of people online sharing amazing ideas and mindsets for how we should be treating ourselves.  People like Chessie King (FIIT Instructor) and Emily Bador (Model) are complete powerhouses when it comes to promoting self-love and body confidence!  Seeing their posts on my feed encourage me to be kinder to myself and inspire me so much to do the same one day.  I will link their Instagram handles below if you're interested in seeing these complete babes do their amazing work!

I know that my long-term goal is to feel better about myself and I don't have to suddenly rush to change my body to get there.  I need to start to appreciate my body for more than just its appearance.  It gets me from A to B, gets me through the tough days, lets me enjoy exercise and eat amazing food.  I know this sounds really wishy-washy, but it's true, we need to appreciate our bodies for what they do.  I'm trying to start my little body-positive journey to improve my life & my mental health.  I love exercising, but when I have the energy to do so, I'm not going to pressure myself to keep to a schedule because it's just not realistic.

Anyway, this is just one small step I'm taking to try to improve my self-confidence and I encourage you to find one step to take, whatever it may be, to make yourself feel better too!  We are all under so much pressure in different areas of our lives, we need to give ourselves a break.  ❤🧘‍♀️


Instagram Handles for Chessie & Emily;

@chessiekingg  @darth_bador





Comments

  1. Good for you!
    How you feel is much more important than numbers on scales.
    I love your outfit photo and I like the outfit you styled and were wearing in it.
    you look fabulous, and I love your positivity.

    my blog
    my YouTube
    my Twitter

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts